Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 7 months ago

I'm still paying rent while not living there. My landlord is mad about my bed being in my room cause his daughter wants it. Can he do this?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

While you're paying rent, the room is yours.

If you and your landlord agree to end the tenancy, he can have the room back.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you are still paying rent then youare still the tenant and the bed can stay in your room, if the landlord wants the room then the landlord needs to release you from your contract, then the landlord can use the room

• 7 months ago

If you are renting the place then nothing he can do about it. Tell him you'll move the bed if he cancels the lease, if you don't want to keep renting the place.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If your lease is still active and you're still paying rent, sure he can be mad but he can't do anything about it. Offer to let him buy out your lease.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

As long as you are paying rent, the bed stays. He cannot move his daughter into your room unless he lets you out of your lease.

• 7 months ago

If he wants your stuff out, then he releases you from paying rent.

• Caitlin7 months agoReport

He said he was not under that authority but after I said my desks and bed were staying he preceded with “I will be happy to help move your stuff” I was like I just said it was staying? Then he went and took a photo of my room (which only contains a bed and 2 desks) 🙄

• 7 months ago

Can he do what - be mad? Certainly he can be mad. But as long as you are paying the agreed rent and sticking to every point of your contract with him, there is nothing ELSE he can do.

• 7 months ago

Do what? Wanting your bed? He can want the Moon in his palm. There is no law against it. And, you ARE basically living there - because your bed is there. Until ALL of your belongings have been moved out, you ARE still considered occupying the premises. If you want him to get in another tenant to cut your losses, remove the bed or text or email him that he can have the bed. That will leave the place empty and he can re-rent it. When he gets someone else in, you won't have to pay rent there anymore.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • John7 months agoReport

He's allowed to want that too. Doesn't mean you have any obligation to oblige him.

• Never
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Ask him to let you out early and then she can have it. As long as you have to pay, you should not feel bad about anything.

• Never
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Its his problem then, not yours.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

YOU'RE STILL the renter ?? Not legally, but it happens all the time ................

• Caitlin7 months agoReport

Yeah for 3 more months. He told me I had to remove all my stuff and I told him I was not going to take my bed and desks if I was paying the rent, to which he responded “he would help move my stuff”. then after I left he went into my room and took a photo of my room 🙄

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.