How do you normally handle road rage situaion?

hello. I'm in socal. Road rage incident happened recently and I just wonder how others handle situation like this. I was waiting on left lane (designated for left turn) to turn left. there was no left turn signal so I just had to wait and yield all the cars across the street to pass. Finally I made left turn... show more hello. I'm in socal. Road rage incident happened recently and I just wonder how others handle situation like this. I was waiting on left lane (designated for left turn) to turn left. there was no left turn signal so I just had to wait and yield all the cars across the street to pass. Finally I made left turn and light turned red. The car behind me was also waiting and I guess he thought I was slow. He gave me middle finger as he was zooming by me and drove fast in front of me. I got so furious and kept following behind him and I started honking a few times when we got stuck in traffic. As he looked back at me, I shouted "what the f is your problem?".

He kept cursing and said I am dead and he (seemed to be in his 50's) started coming out on the street and gave me motion to come out too to fight. I was expecting to maybe having some heated arguments but I wasn't expecting to fight on the middle of the road and possibly appear on youtube or caught by police and get in legal trouble.

He kept telling me to pull aside. But I didn't want to make this out of proportion and also didn't want to possibly jeopardize my professional license that I worked for 10 yrs to get. so,I stayed in car and he called me p(chicken in curse word). Later, I kind of regretted that I didn't pull aside to some neighborhood and possibly fight if it leads to. I was just wondering how other people would have responded. do you just suck it up when someone gives you finger or do you take it all the way?