How long can I leave the spare tire on when not driving the car?

I got a flat yesterday and it is not fixable and i have the spare tire on right now. I dont have the time to get a new tire as I am going away. How long can I leave the car with the spare on as long as nobody drives it?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

If the spare is full size, then you should not be shy to use it. Tyres go bad over time so may as well burn it on the road than leave it to rot in the trunk. Rotate your tyres regularly as per manual and share the wear.

If your spare is one of those space savers (undersized tyre often on an orange or yellow-painted rim) then that is only intended to get you home at restricted speed. It is not intended for more regular use, but if it's only holding the car off the floor it can remain on the hub indefinitely.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If the car is not being driven, the spare tire can remain on the car FOREVER! It's when you start DRIVING the car that you need to replace the spare with a regular tire.

• 7 months ago

Forever.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

My guess would be three years

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

If nobody is driving the car it doesn't matter whether there are wheels on it or not.

• 7 months ago

As long as the regular tires will hold the car up without driving.

• 7 months ago

A very long time.Measured in months not hours.

• don r
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

As long as the spare has been good sitting in the trunk, you don't need to worry about it just holding a place on the car until you get anew tire.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Indefinitely.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Forever.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.