Tony asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

does anyone know why your dog wont eat dry kibble dog food unless you put something with it?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

because he is EXPECTING SOMETHING TO BE IN THE FOOD - EACH TIME YOU FEED HIM/HER.

Just put dry food down and give the dog 30 minutes to eat the food. If not, but the food up and out of reach. Try this for several day. The dog will learn that he/she must eat when the foods put in front of him/her.

The dog will not let itself starve!!!!!

• 6 months ago

Probably because adding something to the kibble, I think, makes it smell and taste more appealing. Actually mine will eat their dry food, if I put a handful ont he floor last thing. Normally I add a small amount of tinned meat to the complete, more because I think it LOOKS more appealing than just a bowl-ful of dry kibble!! At one point I used to add some warm (NEVER HOT AS IT CAN DESTROY THE VITAMINS IN THE COMPLETE FOOD) water just before feeding, but these days I don't. One of the tinned brands I use has a lot of gravy which adds liquid just was well. I have also added some warm water to the kibble I use, to see how much it expands - not at all. It's a fact that if it expands a lot in the stomach, it could lead to bloat. Which is why I check when I use a new food.

ps Once or twice a week I add a cooked egg to their food.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Impossible to say without knowing how long the dog has been having something mixed with his kibble and what the brand and ingredients are of the kibble.

I have always soaked my dogs kibble in hot water until it`s crumbly and always added a little wet or canned food with it.

Many dry food manufacturer's recommend soaking the kibble as it enhances the taste.

I believe its better to soak dry kibble as once its eaten dry it absorbs digestive fluids and swells up to twice its size inside the dog which in MY opinion is not a good thing. It may (imo) contribute to bloat.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years. (UK)
  • 6 months ago

BECAUSE you keep adding things to it. I had an idiot boyfriend that would add cheese, hamburger, milk, etc to his dog's food. I told him to stop doing it and guess what? The DOG STILL ATE ITS FOOD a few minutes later.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

You don’t need to add things to the kibble unless you’ve conditioned the dog that it needs something added before allowed to eat it, now that the dogs spoiled it’s waiting for its regular routine.

Dogswont starve themselves to death, they may refuse to eat for two to three days wanting tinned meat or gravy, eggs or cheese on their food, but just like they were trained to expect yummy toppings they can be retrained to eat plain dry food once again.

• 6 months ago

Yes. You spoiled the dog. Just leave the food down, a dog will not starve it's self. When hungry enough he will eat. or just keep decreasing the amount of what ever put in his food. Do it gradual over a period of a week or two, just keep decreasing & decreasing until there is nothing.

Or switch dog foods & buy a better quality brand. Something new may change his mind but again introduce the new food gradually. A sudden switch will cause diarrhea. decrease the old as you add more of the new.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes, the dog is holding out for something better than dry kibble.

• 6 months ago

Because you either:

1) spoiled the dog BY putting something in it (besides dry dog food) at some point, so dog is now ON STRIKE....

OR

2) you feed a cr@ppy dog food, that tastes like horse $hi#.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.