Native English speakers, please help me understand this (Reading compression)?

Okay so I'm reading this book and right now I'm at this specific chapter where the protagonist is on a motor yacht with this girl he randomly picked up who happened to be looking for a ride. The protagonist named John Kelly is an ex Navy SEAL, nam veteran who had been through hell. He had also lost his wife... show more Okay so I'm reading this book and right now I'm at this specific chapter where the protagonist is on a motor yacht with this girl he randomly picked up who happened to be looking for a ride. The protagonist named John Kelly is an ex Navy SEAL, nam veteran who had been through hell. He had also lost his wife and the baby in a tragic car accident recently. He's having a really tough time and haven't had any company in awhile, well.. you know what I mean. So he was on his way home, technically it is a motor yacht, when he spotted this girl who was just standing on the side of the road looking for a ride but ended up going with him to his place instead. He's taking her for a cruise around the sea. He really likes her but kinda insecure about her, he'd only known her for like 3 hours. She's been hitting on him, in hopes of you know.. and he wants it too but he's still not sure. I got lost at this point, could you help me understand the following passage?

"His reason reminded him that the girl at his side was what? He didn't know. His emotions told him that it didn't matter. She was what he needed. But he was not a man ruled by emotions, and the conflict made him glower at the horizon."

So my question is what does it mean that the "conflict" made him glower at the horizon?