Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 9 months ago

Mom wants me to get 3 jobs?

I just graduated from high school, and I have two jobs for the summer to keep me occupied. One of them is 8 hours/week, and the other one is only about 3 hours/week, and will probably increase once I get more experience. However, she says this is too little and wants me to work at least 20 hours a week and wants me to get another job, or she won't help me pay my college tuition at all for the college I've already committed to for this fall. What should I do?

To clarify, I already had one job before this summer. She asked me to get another one, or she wouldn't help pay my tuition. So I got another job, and now she wants me to get another one.

3 is too many

You should be able to find one job that will give you 20+ hours. Your current situation sounds unbelievable.

find more work hours whether that's more at present jobs or another job

Do what you have to do to get enough hours but it’s hard to juggle 3 different work schedules. It’s easy to end up with no jobs if there’s any overlap. But summer is hard because everyone is out of school so a lot of jobs don’t give as many hours as during the school year. But it’s worth it if it’s a way to get college paid for.

• :)

I personally think school itself is a “job” and I really wish our system didn’t require some people to work and attend school. But alas.

If you’re a girl, babysitting is a great option. If you do ten hours on saturdays and sundays, or a couple of hours each day, and If they pay you at least $12 an hour, that might be a good choice. I just feel like families are less likely to hire male babysitters, unless the male is older.

Get one job that involves at least 20 hours per week at better pay. If there is a UPS facility in your town, or fedex, both pay a decent entr-level wage and have benefits for part timers. Starbucks also. Costco is a great place.

• drip

Juggling three schedules is going to difficult.

You are better off getting one job.

But at this late date for the summer finding a job may be difficult. Restaurants- like Red Robin, TGIF- are always looking for help and with tips pays well.

11 hours a week isn't much all.

You could pick up mowing lawns or babysitting for a third job

thats up to you, you can always apply for financial aid

get another job

20 hours a week is only half-time by most people's standards (i.e. it isn't all that much to ask). University is expensive and you should contribute. You don't have to though. You could quit the whole program and go out into the real world and fend for yourself. But you will likely have to work more than 20 hours a week to make ends meet. In fact, probably more than that.