If gave fuel station clerk your debit card to hold while you pumped gas outside ,,,would go and get a new debit card afterwards?

since the computer system were not working at the pumps, one had to go inside and pay before you could pump, and I wanted to fill my vehicle up , so the clerk told me to either give my driver's license or my debit card while I went out and pumped gas into my vehicle, and I gave my debit card, but after I did so... show more since the computer system were not working at the pumps, one had to go inside and pay before you could pump, and I wanted to fill my vehicle up , so the clerk told me to either give my driver's license or my debit card while I went out and pumped gas into my vehicle, and I gave my debit card, but after I did so and was pumping gas, I was thinking, "What would stop that clerk from taking my card information and then cleaning out my account online?" and I called my bank after to ask that question, and they told me that they would recommend I go and get a new card with a new card number. and so I did, but was wondering, DIDNT PEOPLE USE TO GIVE THEIR CREDIT CARDS, DEBIT CARDS TO LIKE WAITORS AND WAITRESSES, AND STORE CLERKS? WHAT WOULD STOP THEM FROM DOING SAME THING? OR WAS I JUST BEING WAY OVER PARANOID? WHY?