Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 7 months ago

Using the driver's permit manual for passing the road test?

Hi all,

After earning your permit, did you reread your driver's manual to prepare for your road test aside from driving lessons.

If you don't have a car and friends/family for aiding you in practicing driving or giving you tips, did you rely on your permit manual to obtain the drivers' license.

I have began practicing my driving skills from a professional driving instructor because I don't have anyone to rely on (I'm basically on my own and none of my friends own a car. I don't have enough money to rent car as I saved up money for the driving course & other expenses to deal with). I would like to know whether you guys relied on your permit manual aside from driving lessons in order to obtain your license. What were your experiences like?

Favorite Answer

Evidently JetDoc didn't understand your question.

Hell yes you want to go over that manual again, just in case there's anything in there that you missed the first few times. Then go through it one more time, just to keep all that stuff fresh in your mind.

The driving examiners, those stone-faced zombies who administer the road test and watch your every move like a hawk, they know that manual inside and out. If you break the law even a little bit during the test, they'll be able to tell you exactly which page the law you just broke is on. Then they'll end the exam right then and there, because breaking just one law (even a really minor one) is a fail.

It sounds pretty difficult, doesn't it? And yes it is, for people who don't understand how this driving stuff actually works. But in the real world, knowing all the laws (and following them) is actually what everyone is expected to do every time they get behind the wheel. I passed my road test on the first shot, and that was during the snowstorm of the year. And I'm nobody special, I have no cosmic gifts or unique skills, in fact I'm probably average at best. And if I could do it, and I did, so can you.

• Edna

What in heck is a "permit manual"? Are you referring to the State Driver's Handbook that you can receive free of cost from you state's DMV testing office?

The Driver's Handbook teaches you the basic "rules of the road" in your state. You had to study the Handbook before you were able to pass the written test and obtain your learner's license.

You can study the Handbook until the cows come home, but the information it contains won't help you much when you take the road test. The road test will test your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, under all sorts of conditions and in all sorts of traffic situations - whatever the accompanying officer tells you to do. The only way you're going to gain that ability and pass the road test is with practice, practice, and more practice operating a vehicle.

That's what your learner's license is for - so you can practice and gain experience and LEARN how to safely drive a car. You won't gain that experience just from "book learning".

Read, reread, re-reread, re-re-reread the manual so I memorized the entire book. You are suppose to know it from cover to cover, inside and out. I also carry a recent edition to the manual in the glovebox for light reading. This is the BIBLE for DRIVING. Rules and regulations do change slightly over time and WHEN YOU CRASH (we all will do that) then you know what to do in case of an accident. The information you need to get from the other driver., etc,etc.

. Accidents I rarely have happen so it is not unusual to forget that information as it is used so rarely(hopefully never)

Been driving 45 years and "still trucking".

• May

Basically, What "us guys" did has basically nothing to do with what you basically should do. Basically, you should just basically Follow the basic rules for your basic location.

Responding to the "BASICALLY" generation......They have no "basic" clue

You are expected to know the manual. You cannot refer to it while driving wondering what you do in the next few seconds at the next intersection.

You know the rule is stop at a stop sign. You are now doing it. You know the rule for different traffic lights. You are now learning different intersections and combinations of lights.

GREEN does not mean hit the gas its a drag race start. It just means you can go if it is safe to do so. You Look to see that some out of control thing is not about to cross on the red.

The speed limit sign is the maximum speed not the must drive speed at all times.

You will be learning to drive for months and months different roads, different speeds,different weather and traffic. It took you years to learn to walk. Do you honestly now think about the two hundred muscles you coordinate to do it.. You might when you come upon an usual to you surface to place your next step.

Knowing what is in the manual is needed to drive in way that you can pass the test.

The test is for you to show you understand the rules and know what to do.

• cruis

there's a difference between book learning and hands-on. The booklet gives you the conceptual; driving let's you put it in practice. You need to practice.

Also, please do not refer to it as a "permit." The government does not permit anything. They can only restrict. Also, government does not grant rights.

They can call it whatever they like, but that does not mean it is technically accurate. Vocabulary and words are influential, which is why government uses the word "permit."

"When words lose their meaning, people will lose their liberty." -- Confucius

• JetDoc

Learning to drive requires you to actually PRACTICE doing it! You WILL NOT pass your driving test just by reading about it.

• car253

If you don't have money you will probly have to wait until you are 18 to avoid all the hoops you have to go through. As long as you know the rules of the road, you just follow them when you drive.

Well it sure will not hurt to go over the manual again. Presumably the instructor will be just helping you put what you learned into practice. The manual might tell you how far you should stop from a railway track. The instructor will help you stop that distance away.

Well, I was fortunate that my school had drivers ed, so my experience was a little different. That said, a manual is *always* a good reference tool to refer back to, be it before your test or a year after getting your license. Read through it as much as you feel you need to have a good grasp on it.

This isn't a normal "test," so don't worry that using it is somehow cheating or whatever, it isn't. What's important is that you learn and understand it.