Did Jesus teach salvation only by grace, not by works?

• Otto
    Favorite Answer

Hebrew 5:9: " He (Jesus) brcame the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him."

(Does this conflict with the statrmrnt that Christians are "saved through faith"? Not at all. Obedience simply demonstrates that their faith is genuine.)

Source(s): Bible
  • humpty

"Faith without good works is dead."

By grace and His works.

• Derek

Yes, it's the finished work of Christ on the cross that those receiving grace are saved by.

Peter Gore Seer,

This Is Fake No Selvastion, You Will Suffer, Little Children.

"What does it profit my brethren, if someone says they have faith but does not have works, can faith save him?" The IMPLIED answer here is "No" because he goes on to say "Faith by itself, if it does not have works, IS DEAD" (James 2:17).

So judge for yourself from scripture, "Someone will say "You have faith and I have works, show me your faith WITHOUT your works and I will show you my faith BY MY WORKS (James 2: 18)

Some users seem to think that water baptism is salvation by works, yet Jesus told us to preach the gospel to every creature and baptize those who believe, so I don't believe water baptism is salvation by works, ESPECIALLY SINCE BAPTISM IS FROM HEAVEN AND NOT OF MEN (Matthew 21:25) and considering Jesus, Peter, Paul, Phillip etc didn't hesitate to baptize those who believed straight away, upon their confession of faith.

Jesus told us, "He who believes AND IS BAPTISED shall be saved, but he who does not believe shall be damned" (Mark 16:16). Jesus Himself also said, "UNLESS" - that's a condition of salvation - "Unless a man is born (again) John 3:3) of WATER (I believe that's baptism) and Spirit (I believe that's Holy Spirit) he CANNOT ENTER GOD'S KINGDOM (John 3:5)

So yes, Jesus taught salvation is by grace not works but not ONLY grace; that word "alone" however has been added to the Bible by men. It isn't there, because salvation is also through God's mercy according to Titus 3:5 as well as by His grace we have been saved through faith AND THAT NOT OF OURSELVES, it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2: 8 & 9).

Oh, no. Certainly not. Many things he said, in fact, contradict the heresy of being saved solely by grace. For one thing, he teaches that he shall reward us according to our works, not our beliefs.

• Derek

Those who are saved receive a reward for their good works, which is not the same as being saved first, by faith in Christ. If you are not saved first, you will receive no reward no matter how many apparently good works you did. You will be judged adversely.

We are under the Grace of Jesus, He died for our sins so we did not have to bare the concequences of death for braking them! However...... we are to follow the commandments/guidelines set out and given to Moses at Mt Sinai. Jesus said the greatest commandment is LOVE...but if we love him we will have every desire to follow his ways and what he requires from us.

He said John 14:15 "If you love me keep my commandments"

Alot of people think we dont have to keep the commandments any more they think that because Jesus died the laws were done away with but that would then make God a liar because God says "Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you[a] will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

Anyone who obeys God and his commandments out of Love is accepted by Jesus and classed as "being a part of Israel" They become grafted into Israel.... Revelation clearly stated that we will be judged on our works, so we are all going to be judged by the 10 commandments. Works DO matter!

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

People are getting confused with the verse you are not saved by works and that is true also it is Jesus what saves! But The works are relevant when done with the correct heart. God wants your heart he wants you to have the desire to do his works.... Works with out Faith and Love for Jesus is dead and that is what it all means.

• P

good answer Grace

Salvation is by faith, through grace; good works follow naturally. Ephesians 2:8-10. 2 Timothy 3:16, 17.

Chris gave you the right answer. Salvation is 100% by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work" (Rom. 11:6). What this verse is saying is that grace and works are mutually exclusive. In other words, if one work is added to the Gospel, then grace is annulled and one is left with a different "gospel" that will not save (Gal. 1:6-9).

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute. Christ died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave (1 Cor. 15:3-4). The Bible is clear that salvation is not by our good works. The only condition for receiving everlasting life is to believe in Jesus for that free gift! It really is that simple.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

• Snowbird

But we were not saved by grace ALONE, through faith ALONE. God didn't say that, neither does the Bible or Jesus Christ or Paul or Peter or James or Philip or anyone else. YOU have added those words to scripture yourself.

He was rather ambiguous about it. There are verses suggesting that he did, and others suggesting the opposite (e.g. Matthew 25:31-46). That is why Christians are divided on the question. Unfortunately, he also specified his followers' unity as the criterion by which everybody else could determine that he was sent by the Father.

• Michael

This study guide is based on chapter 5 of the book What Does the Bible Really Teach? https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/bible-study-tools/study-guides/the-ransom-gods-gift-part-1/#?insight[search_id]=ae89a7d7-df08-4e87-95d1-817443199c0b&insight[search_result_index]=1

I bet you can't prove Jesus existed or Paul .

Back dated forged documents the Romans created don't count

as saying Paul's letters are dated on a date you're taught in advanced Sunday School

• Lv 4

Josephus son of Mathias . Did you know that about history . Jesus wasn't the son of god or was Paul as big as he claimed . Even if they did exist they are larger than life .