Any suggestions to get the stench out of sink?

I cut up the absorbent liner that lines a package of meat and some of it made its way down the drain and now it's obviously stuck somewhere down there. And if you're wondering why I cut it up. it's because I was thawing out the meat by running cold water over it, and liner swelled up big time. So I gut it up into smaller pieces for easier disposal. But I kept the water running and how those pieces made it through is beyond me, but I saw them go down. I don't want to have to call a plumber but I will if I have to.

Favorite Answer

You need to disassemble the trap under the sink and remove the pieces. If the stoppage is further down the drain, then you will need to snake from that point downward.

Dump a good handful of baking soda into the drain, let sit (don't run any water) for 15 minutes, then pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar down. Watch the bubbles, hear the pops and fizz, and let it sit for another 15 minutes.

Source(s): Google.
  • Ann

Use white vinegar and baking soda. The mixture will foam and bubble. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, and then run very hot water for at least two minutes. That should get rid of the smell. I mix it half and half.

I fill drain with chopped ice and then run disposal usually forces things like popcorn kernels and other small things caught in disposal out

Fill the sink full of water. Now get the toilet plunger. The orange one is fine. Now take out the stopper and put the plunger in the water and force down on the plunger pushing down a chunk of water quickly. This will force stuff out of the Pee trap and into the straight drain pipe and wash into the sewer.

[Stop using the sink as a garbage disposal. I put waste like that into a glass jar that used to hold jam that has a screw lid and close the lid and toss into the garbage. Or inside a plastic bread bag that I twist tie up and toss into the garbage.]

I am thinking your stuff is sitting in the Pee trap (which is shaped like a U) and is staying there and blood stinks as it decays.) Forcing it past the trap means a straight slide to the sewer or septic tank.

. Or lots of water dumped from above so it goes into the drain hole and pounds down into the trap . Use a gallon or 3 gallon bucket and dump from a height higher than the tap and directly into the drain hole(it works like a water hammer).

. Or keep the stopper on unless you are draining water.

If you can smell it, it's not far down. @spock's advice is good. Take the trap under the sink off. If you're not comfortable doing that, any reasonably handy friend can help.

step one -- cut into fourth or eighths and grind up until entirely gone a lemon or an orange

step two -- disassemble the drain and clean the trap under the sink

step three [if needed] -- auger out the drain where it goes onto the wall

step four [if needed] -- remove the disposal [it dismounts under the sink after you disconnect the drain], take it outside and try to spray water under pressure backward into the drain hole.

step five [if ...] -- call plumber

Source(s): grampa
  • hooray

No need for a plumber.

There should be a trap under the sink, either a downward curved section of pipe ("p", "j", "u" trap) or a larger cylindrical component (bottle trap). All of these are intended to capture large or dense solids so they don't travel further into the drain and cause a blockage in a section that's harder to access.

Traps are designed to be easily undone, and reassembled, by hand or with minimal tool use. There will be a small amount of water inside so place something underneath to catch it - bucket, dish, old towel. If you find the locknut too stiff for you, use an adjustable wrench or try wrapping a towel over the contours and squeeze as you twist.

I still don't see how the liner could have grown too large to just stuff into a bin though. Well, now you know not to cut anything up in a sink with the water running.

• Anonymous Ghost

I cut it into small pieces because I was bored. I learned my lesson.

There may be a mini plunger locally.

Toss a cake pan under it, take photos & rip it apart.

NO there are drain clearing products you can buy