Can you sell a car that is registered to someone that is deceased and still financed?

Update:

The vehicle was financed by and registered soley to my husband so I am the executor/personal representative of the estate. I'm hoping to trade it in along with my other car for another vehicle.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No, because you do not own the vehicle and either did the deceased. You cannot legally sell it until it has been paid off. If you don't want to pay it off, turn it in to the lender, and tell them X died, and supply a certified copy of the death certificate.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Never
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Only if you are the executor of the estate or have proper paperwork and pay off the remaining balance concurrently.

• 6 months ago

The finance may have a death benefit associated with it, meaning the loan is assumed as no longer owing. Check the contract first and ask your legal representative or finance company for advice. They will probably say surrender the car to them which is usually the least financial best thing to do. Find out what is owing first before making any decisions. Could be that you have inherited a large debt and not anything of real value. Certainly don't try to sell it as that is actually fraud if you are not the registered owner.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No. Money is still owing on the vehicle. That must be paid first. Then you get the title "free & clear of outstanding debts" With the title, now you can sell the car. They will help you navigate through this confusing process.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Not unless you're the executor of the estate and the vehicle is free and clear of any liens.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

No, because it is financed the lender has placed a lien against it and you can't sell it. This is a matter the executor of the deceased's estate will have to resolve.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

no

the car will be listed in the estate and can only be sold by the excutor of the will

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

The car is now owned by the estate of the person that died.

• jj
      Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

If the car is financed the financial institution has the title to the vehicle.

• 6 months ago

Yes. If you’re executor of the estate, you can liquidate personal items to pay debt.

This means you can sell the car to pay off the loan.

If the estate chooses not to, the financing bank can elect to repossess the car. The original seller, if a dealership, can elect to take the car back and essentially cancel the loan.

• Simpson G.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You’re saying you can’t sell anything with a lien?

• 6 months ago

No the bank will get it and it’ll be auctioned

• opinionated
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

the bank gets the balanced owed, either by insurance on the loan, or cash from the estate
      death does not stop bills due

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.