Travis asked in Social ScienceSociology · 7 months ago

Why are many African American's usually so materialistic, vain, and shallow despite being poor and on welfare?

Their entire culture is about materialism, I don't understand it. I go on some of their instagrams profiles of some African American's I know and it's all about them, their "money" and their "fame". They work at Taco Bell, and their instagram profile is "Young CEO, entrepreneur, influencer, business owner" and they own no businesses at all and didn't even graduate high school yet. They are like 17 years old. They post pictures of their family's graduation and there's no pictures of their family, just pictures of someone who took a "photoshoot" of them at the graduation. It's like 10 pictures of them posing and none of their family member who actually graduated and their family that attended.

Favorite Answer

I find what you are saying to be the same of all ethnicities on this earth. Yes, many poor people are materialistic, just as many wealthy, rIch people. We live in a world that promotes being rich and having many material possessions. These wise words at 1 John 5:19; "We know that we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one," helps me to understand that this world promotes Satan’s way of thinking. This way of thinking is common among people who do not love and imitate Jehovah [God] and who ignore his standards. Such thinking and the actions that it leads to is described as the spirit of the world. (Ephesians 2:2) People who follow God’s commandments make sure that they are not overcome by this spirit, whether they are rich or poor (Ephesians 6:10-18)

Source(s): Bible; jw,org