Help finding a book whos title I've forgotten?

So, I've forgotten all of the author details and cannot find this book, and Google is not giving me any answers. The only solid thing I can remember is that it is about a boy (possibly a half elf) who has a shadow beast or something which he cannot control. All I can fully remember is that he cannot control it,... show more So, I've forgotten all of the author details and cannot find this book, and Google is not giving me any answers. The only solid thing I can remember is that it is about a boy (possibly a half elf) who has a shadow beast or something which he cannot control. All I can fully remember is that he cannot control it, and that it often comes out when he is hurt.

A few details Im fuzzy about from the book:

He wasn't liked because he was a half elf.
His father is the only one who initially knew about the beast.
The book ended (or it was fairly close to the end) when he let the beast loose on a battlefield and ended the battle, but it killed his father.

I know it's pretty lacking in detail, so I'm not expecting much. I can remember just enough that it bugs me endlessly, but for the life of me cannot remember it
Update: I can also remember that near the beginning of the book, the main character and a friend (maybe sibling) went into the forest and were attacked by a wild animal, the main character was hurt and the beast came out and killed the animal
1 answer 1