I have lately gotten into painting clothing and I was wondering the legalities of it all.?

I know that selling branded trademarked clothing is illegal, but what about clothing that has no logos or other trademarked stuff. For instance, is it ok to paint my own art on a plain white Hanes T shirt and sell it?

I have also been doing commissions where they give me their jacket / other clothing, and I paint something of their choosing onto it. I am not selling the pieces of clothing but instead selling my services. I assume that is ok? If anyone has experience in selling custom painted clothing please tell me the legalities so I don't get myself in trouble. Thank you!

• Speed
    Best Answer

Yes, you're not violating any trademarks or copyrights by using commercially made clothing as a canvas for your original art.

The trouble is when you use someone else's art, logo, or words.

Under US laws, assuming that's where you are, or that your country has similar laws:

It's not illegal to resell someone else's trademark goods, with or without adding a design, provided you obtained them from an authorized distributor and you don't replace their brand with your own.

For instance, if you buy a car and have special tires and hubcaps installed on it, it's still the same "brand" as before and it's not illegal to resell it.

As for decorating clothing, just be sure your customer has the legal right to request the design they are asking you to duplicate, as otherwise you could be liable for criminal copyright infringement.

• Judy

is ok

• John

You can sell a Hanes T shirt. You can't say that you made it and you certainly can't take the label off and put your own on it.

• Henry

Check with a lawyer or CPA. Laws vary from state to state.