Why is the sky orange?

Favorite Answer

You must be smoking the right stuff

Why has the sky turned grey

Hard to my face and cold on my shoulder

And why has my life gone astray

Scarred by disgrace, I know that it's over

it's orange, because although the air seems transparent to us (like water ... and it's like that in "small quantities") ... it actually disperses the blue light ... (that's why we see the blue sky) .. .. at sunset the light crosses not from top to bottom the atmosphere (100km) but tangentially (6000 km to 10000km), and during that journey the atmosphere takes away all the blue light, leaving only the reddish tones ..

It's because in the summertime in our southern hemisphere, the orbit of our planet is closest to the Sun, which tends to cause the eruption of huge planet wide dust storms. The finest dust particles take years to settle out, so the atmosphere remains an orange color all of the time. I live in northern Hellas, where the dust takes the longest time to settle out. I hate that. You were talking about Mars, weren't you?

• Paula

Because it is not lemon.

• e9601:

It's a giant creamsicle.

• Retief

It will appear orange due to smoke, pollution, or other particulates in the air (such as from a volcano).

• Bill-M

De-fraction of sunlight passing through the Earths polluted air.

Small particles of dust and pollution in the air can contribute to (and sometimes even enhance) these colors, but the primary cause orange/red sunsets or sunrises is scattering by the gas molecules that make up our atmosphere.

Come back home to Earth. We miss you.