Rusted Railing Attachment to Ground - Needs Fixing?

The metal railing going up the steps of my front porch has rusted away at the bottom separating it's attachment from the cement. Is there an easy and cost effective way to secure it back to the step? We will be putting our house on the market in the coming weeks and need it reattached before the house is listed.

Thank you!

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

There is no "easy fix" for that. I'd put a plant pot in front of it and hope that no-one notices.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I would try to find a short sleeve that would just slide over the square railing tube. So measure it accurately(maybe it is 3/4" square) and then find a pipe that goes over it like a sleeve over your arm Then put the short piece into the hole in the ground bu chiseling out the hole a bit larger then slip the short sleeve into the hole and pound it down. Now slide the railing in after you clean off the rust and use epoxy glue and paint on the railing and slip that puppy into the other one. Let dry for 12 hours and then paint black and you should not notice a damn thing wrong with it for 5 years. They should have had a foot like that and they just stuck it into the wet concrete. That lasted what 5 years? The railing is pushing down so it should be good for a long time.

Or instead of going over it, you can fit a pipe inside of it(and it could be round). You need to make an imprint of the inside of the pipe so you need something like cookie dough to make that cookie cutter impression. Transfer it onto paper with exact measurements and then visit a welding shop. As they have bits of pipe and you only need4 to 6" maximum length of steel pipe. Take your photo with you to the welding shop. They know right away what you need.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

If as it appears it is rusted off in two, Then you need to chisel out the bad part, inset a stub, then weld your rail on to that. The stub \can be held by hydraulic cement, epoxy, lead or sulfur.

• 7 months ago

I'd clean it out and epoxy resin a bolt or rod inside the two parts. Paint over it when done

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-r-ker-380-high...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Find a place that makes and sells iron railings in your area. Go there. Ask them for a footing. You'll need the width of your railing to get the proper size footer. The guy by me sold me old for 10 bucks. You do have to drill into the concrete to install it.

• 7 months ago

Can you replace just that one post? It's hard to tell what needs to be done without a photograph of it.

• 7 months ago

This is one way to repair it. . You could grind the joint down to bare metal, then go to the hardware store and buy "JB Weld Steel Stick" or some other cold weld epoxy. Mix it well and weld the joint, then paint the whole railing.

• 7 months ago

nope. The metal is literally gone. To make it look right, you replace the entire metal railing.

Source(s): grampa
  • chris
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

See if you can rent a small MIG welder or find someone local that can weld it up for you. It would take about 10 minutes and be good as new!

Harbor freight has a "flux welder" on sale right now for $99.

With wire and a helmet, you might spend $150, but you end up with your own welding kit for the same price you would pay somebody else to do it.

Source(s): DIY Kind of guy!
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Traditionally you pour molten lead into the socket and and shove in the post. Easier would be a two part epoxy resin, after scraping off the rust and cleaning out the grot. If it is literally tubular steel rusted off rather than just displaced get a short length of square bar and use that to create a new spigot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.