Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

How do I train my dog to stop barking?

• Sarah

Whenever the dog is quiet aka not barking you can give it a treat. Keep reinforcing positively with treats when they do not bark in situations where they might now bark. You have to monitor this and make sure they associate not barking with the treats. Also when they do bark, remain calm, do not freak out and tell them to stop and yell and make noise as this will just work them up even more. All too often humans will make these sort of situations worse by how we react to dog behavior.

I know many people that have this problem with their dogs. The dog won't stop barking at night, which would make sleeping difficult for you and your neighbors... There are devices out there that you can find in a pet shop (and also online) that make dogs less noisy at night. A neighbor bought one recently and is planning to buy another because she has two dogs and it's not enough with just one of them. I don't know if they work, but I'd personally turn the radio on if I had to leave my dog alone at night. Maybe if they listen to music they're less aware of other sounds that make them bark (like a cat or a person passing by).

Make sure they have enough toys and bones. My dog also barks more if she hasn’t gotten her energy out yet, plenty of yard/park time and regularly walks should help. If she won’t stop, make sure you tell her “no” and scold her when she barks, it will take a while but she’ll figure it out. It also helps to randomly give her treats when she’s not barking. It’s this idea that even if she doesn’t know she’s being good, it’ll reinforce that good behavior rather than just punish the bad behavior. Taps to the nose also help, if you have to you can restrain her to a cage or particular room to calm down. My dog use to get pretty rowdy when my neighbor’s dog got home so I’d put her in her cage with a blanket coming the top and sides of it. This would give her a pretty dark, semi-quiet area to relax. Obviously don’t leave her in there all the time, but it’s really helpful if she’s getting to be too much. I also leave the front gate part of her cage uncovered so she can see me and have light.

Whack it on its bonce with a rolled up newspaper

get himm too sit say good dog get him some food

You give it something else to do put simply, they cant bark with a full mouth you see.

Google, 'stop excessive barking'. All kinds of ways to curb the barking. But you have to be very consistent in your corrections.

Lick it

• Cei

Kick him in the nuts when he barks

• David

Muzzle the dog.

• susan

Dogs need to be able to pant in the heat, which a standard muzzle prevents. Dogs do not have the ability to sweat, and panting is one of the main ways they have of releasing body heat. If you force a dog to keep its mouth closed for too long, it can overheat and die.