My boyfriends religious parents won’t let us spend our own money to get a hotel together.?

Hello, so my boyfriend of 2 years has religious parents. They’re very nice, but they are super evangelical Christian. My boyfriend lives on his own (we’re both 22), and I live at home. My parents are fine with him sleeping over whenever, because they trust me and respect my right to make my own decisions. I also... show more Hello, so my boyfriend of 2 years has religious parents. They’re very nice, but they are super evangelical Christian. My boyfriend lives on his own (we’re both 22), and I live at home. My parents are fine with him sleeping over whenever, because they trust me and respect my right to make my own decisions. I also sleep at his apartment. He pays for his apartment with his own money, and we’re planning on moving in together in a few months. Next week, his parents invited me to go to Richmond with the family to celebrate my bf’s grandfathers birthday. They are getting hotel rooms, and they won’t allow us to get our own room with our own money. I’d never ask to sleep together in their house, or have them pay for it. We’d be spending our own money on a hotel room for ourselves, and they won’t allow it. They won’t even tell us where the hotel is because they don’t want us to get a room.
What are your thoughts on this? I completely understand the my house, my rules thing, and respect that, but this is completely different. He lives on his own, and we’d be in our own room, with our own money. I don’t know what to do about this situation, I’m thinking about not going on the trip at all, but that sucks because it makes it seem like they “won” as weird as that sounds.. just looking for some other people’s thoughts.