can the transformer to my door bell be in the chime box ,I cut the wires and did not look did not want door bell or chime box anymore?

No. The whole purpose of the transformer is to reduce the voltage to a safe level from a fire safety viewpoint, rather than run line current. It is also safer for a wet hand on the button. But to accomplish the most good the transformer would be near the circuit breaker to cover the most of the circuit. But it could be anywhere, including in the chime box. You can put a DVM on the wires you cut and push the button. Probably 12-24 volts ac.

• ccs7 months agoReport

well to late ,duck taped wires and threw chime box and buzzer away , transformer was not in circuit breaker

• M.

In all the decades that I have done home electrical and home repairs, I have never seen the transformer in the noisemaking unit.

The transformer is often mounted on the outside of the fusebox or circuit breaker panel.

Sometimes it is mounted on the side of a ceiling fixture box.

Sometimes the transformer has its own box.

But you didn't bother to find it? You just cut live wires? And then what?

Not likely, usually near an AC source.

it usually isn't. look inside the breaker box. other location might be in the attic directly over the chime box

• y

Some times, sometimes they are attached to the main box. Mine was buried in the wall coming off the bottom of the box, never would have found it if I hadn't added a sub panel.

• John

When young our doorbell/chime sounded like Winchester Cathedral. A pleasant sound and perhaps your doorbell/chime has an unpleasant sound. If thy eye offends thee then pluck it out. Gut your doorbell/chime and throw it in the trash.

If you got a bi-level house, then the transformer could be on top of the light fixture box and it gets it's electricity from there and then transforms it to 12 v DC for the door bell which you see on the wall upstairs. It is only 12 volts(they run model race cars on that voltage) so nothing dangerous.. I would have just disconnected the wires at the door and stuffed them in the door frame so they do not touch each other. It is just 2 wires and leave the ends exposed rather than look for the transformer. The transformer just never gets used to do anything. Disconnect the door chime on the wall not using the 12 volt wires and leave them hanging...inside the chime box as they are 12 volt. Finding the transformer in the chime box would be unusual because that is not where the house wiring is as the chime box is arbitrarily set on the wall on a stud. My transformer is 15 feet away from the chime box and chime box is 20 feet from the front doorbell button. I also have 2 other doorbell buttons on other doors(back door and garage man door which is 30 feet away.

You can take off the door bell and the chime box and leave the transformer alone and it does nothing. It is about a pound of metal the size of your fist. You can buy them separately.

• hooray

Some are housed in the same enclosure, and some remotely. It's easiest to open up the housing and check there first. If there's no transformer within you'll have to trace along the cable run or look in likely places, like a cupboard under the stairs.

It sounds like you didn't check for power and disconnect from supply before cutting the wires, is that right? I suggest you check using a mains tester and a multimeter before touching any conductors, starting on highest AC volts range if it isn't an autoranging device. Removing all old cable isn't always practical, but It's very poor practice to leave defunct cables live, and worse unterminated, even low voltage DC.

Mine is, so Yes it can be.

Sometimes it is and sometimes I've found them mounted on a 2x4 up in the attic.