Car accident claim as a student?

I'm a college student who was injured in a car accident that caused a concussion resulting in me missing 3 weeks of class, having symptoms for over a month and having to drop 3 of my 15 credits, what should I be seeking as far as compensation?

Update:

Update: I was found 100% not at fault, I was rear ended on the highway

Update 2:

My only injury was a concussion, which the treatment for is laying in a dark room doing nothing, I have a free clinic on campus, my tuition is 21K but I pay 14K because of scholarships, they have already payed to have my car fixed.

4 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, in a case where it's clear you would win, you can start with the likely litigation costs the other driver's insurance company would pay for a legal defense (if they go to trial). I imagine at least 20,000 dollars, although most personal injury lawyers will take a third of that.

• 8 months ago

You aren't likely going to get money for not being able to go to class. Your damages will dictate what you are entitled to, and future damages possibilities. Consult a lawyer. He won't know until he has taken your case, looked over the medical reports, seen all of your bills, etc. That's what you will have to do - hire one, if you want to find out what your case is worth.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

If you were able to maintain 12 credits, you have ZERO legitimate claim related to classes. You have a claim for actual damage to your vehicle and medical costs. YOUR insurance company should be handling the claim for you.

• ...Show all comments
    • Kate8 months agoReport

There was also suffering in that I got an excruciating headache for over a week from bright lights and screens. Reading made me dizzy, I couldn't even briskly walk without getting nauseous(I am an active person), I couldn't rock climb for over a month, I couldn't look at projectors for over a month.

• 8 months ago

You don't give enough info about injuries, treatments, expenses, lost tuition, lost wages.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.