Should I "run away" as an alternative to killing myself?

I'm going to fail out of university, and I can't face anyone, especially my parents, about it. I'm also about to lose my only source of companionship in the city I moved to for university (he's my boyfriend. He wants to begin intimacy, I'm starting to think I might be a lesbian because I'd... show more I'm going to fail out of university, and I can't face anyone, especially my parents, about it. I'm also about to lose my only source of companionship in the city I moved to for university (he's my boyfriend. He wants to begin intimacy, I'm starting to think I might be a lesbian because I'd rather be mauled by a bear. This is secondary to my first problem, however). My plan used to be, enjoy life and hold my grades above failing for as long as possible, then eat a bullet.
Recently, however, I've realized that I have another option: I could, upon failing, leave for another province and tell no one where I'm going. Then, I could find some entry level job and try to find a purpose in life outside of academics.
There are some problem with this. My parents would be worried sick-it would probably put them in more pain than if I were to simply kill myself. I'll hurt them no matter what, but maybe it would be selfish to use the worst option in that regard. Also, they could find me. I'd have to carry my gun around at all times if I were to run away.
Alternatively, I could join a cult. I haven't really looked into that idea yet.