How do I save my house?

My mother has been in an abusive relationship for the past nine years. He s screamed at us, insulted, berated, pushed, and shoved us, and even punched my mom once. Last week, he shoved me on the ground and hurt my elbow, and that was the final straw. I called the police and they took him away (he already had a warrant out for his arrest for past domestic violence). For the past few days, everything was peaceful, the bad guy was gone, but then my mom told me he paid the bills. She told me that we re going to lose our house, our car, and she doesn t make enough money alone to rent even the worst apartment in our city. We ll have to put my dog, my best friend for over ten years, in a shelter. I don t know what I m going to do. I know there are probably people who need your help more than my mom and I do, but this is my last resort before my mom decides to sell the house. I don t want to be homeless, I m only 14. Thank you so much for reading this if you did, I need your help.

Favorite Answer

at 14, you can work, but you won't be able to earn much....contact an area domestic violence program for help. you could potentially earn enough to get a nicer apartment that allows dogs.

if you can babysit for $5/hour cash 20 hours per week, that will be 400/month. some areas you may get more than that. you may be able to pick up dog walking business at night or house cleaning. you are supposed to report cash income to the IRS and pay taxes on it, but in reality at 14-17, no one will ever find out if you don't...just don't put a lot in the bank.

NOTE: if the house is owned, it takes YEARS to process a foreclosure. the process starts in about 3 months, but there are court hearings and delays...at worst it should be 6 months. if the house has room, a bedroom can be rented out...even if it means you and mom share a room.

You did the right thing by getting rid of the bad guy. What comes, comes, but aren’t you happy that he won’t be able to abuse your mom anymore?

You don't. It gets sold or the situation gets worse.

No wonder he was angry and abusive. He was paying for your mother's house, for NINE YEARS. Your mother is a manipulative woman. Does she "use" all men this way? No wonder she is single. Sad for you. I hope you don't lose your dog but it does deserve a good home, not an apartment. Since your mother does not seem motivated to get another job so that she can support you all properly, you will have to settle for whatever your mother can find that she can afford. You may have only three months before the house is foreclosed on and you have to move, but the time varies.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Izzy7 months agoReport

He didn't pay all the bills for nine years, he ONLY started contributing a few years ago and started paying about half. They were practically married, so it was expected of him to pay bills! After all, he was living under my mother's house, eating her food, buying things with her money, buying CARS.

• Never

Welcome to reality for many battered women. Not your responsibility at all. You can work but what you would earn...even all of it would not likely make a difference.

If mom can't pay the bills then there is not really anything you can do to save the house. It has to be paid for.

Perhaps you can find a place & rent a room from them.

Mom needs to get a second job.