Anonymous

Why do people with Aspergers struggle to empathize with other people & do they find it easier to empathize with other people with Aspergers?

perhaps because they are more like them?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

i over empathize

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It’s not that most of us struggle with it. We just have trouble expressing ourselves. It’s just a sign of the disorder. Nothing more, nothing less. I myself though only have true empathy when others share their feelings first.

• 7 months ago

Hi. Actual person diagnosed with Asperger's here. I find it hard to emphasize with people no matter what. I am very sympathetic though. But to my family I am apathetic and even with peers I am as well. I say and do things that I thought they would find funny but it just hurts them and I dont think about how they feel. I guess it's just not something that I do. I'm just saying for me. Hope this helps

• 7 months ago

Not really. It's really something to behold when two people with Aspergers who don't have much in the way of social awareness or empathy to begin with have a disagreement over something.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Not all people with Asperger syndrome do, especially not women with it. Empathy is not as prevalent in people of any type as people like to think. Empathy and sympathy are often confused.

• 7 months ago

They don't have the same communication skills that other people have. They have empathy, but they don't understand how people feel by looking at them or by talking to them without outright discussing it.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A lack of empathy, to a greater or lesser degree, is simply part of the disorder, one of its features, so no, they aren't able to empathize with other Asperger's people any better than with non-Asperger's people.

Just think of it the way you would any feature of any illness or disorder.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.