Do kids have to take swimming lessons in the US?

And do they get diplomas for accomplishing certain things? Like in my country we highly encourage getting swimming diplomas and pretty much every kid has them. On average you have A, B and C, and I have one for survival swimming as well but this is totally the norm here. The latter was because my elementary... show more And do they get diplomas for accomplishing certain things? Like in my country we highly encourage getting swimming diplomas and pretty much every kid has them.

On average you have A, B and C, and I have one for survival swimming as well but this is totally the norm here. The latter was because my elementary schools offered it, so during school we'd go to the pool and practise swimming, rescue puppets from the bottom of the pool, wear heavy clothing etc.

Do they have this in the US as well? Kids getting swimming lessons, and having to do a swimming exam to get a diploma?