home lender asked me to fill out a civil union/domestic partnership addendum when i am married?

Update:

my wife is a stay at home Mom, and will not be on the paperwork they say. just wondering if this is normal since they are asking for credit card information on the addendum (the lender says that is there so they can charge us for the cost if we back out of the house before closing, which is July)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Its normal to ask for credit card info or payment info of some kind.

during a normal sale, there are several people or companies who provide services to you. They normally get paid at closing by the title company (that's all part of the "closing costs" that you pay), but if the deal falls through for some reason, they still have a right to get paid for the service they provided.

This might include an inspector, appraiser, attorney, title search, or other services.

For example if the appraiser does their job and gives you & the bank a proper appraisal, but you back out the day before closing, that appraiser has the right to be paid for their work. So they would charge your credit card for the appraisal fee.

So that much is perfectly normal and you should go ahead and provide a CC number. Your card won't be charged for anything as long as the sale goes through as planned (in which case all those fees are wrapped up in the closing costs and paid by the title company using the money you provided to them).

I don't understand what the purpose of the domestic partner form is though. If your wife is not on the loan or the deed then I don't know what that would be about. Ask your mortgage company for more info, perhaps it was a mistake.

• 7 months ago

In some states, both spouses MUST be on the paperwork. You either comply with their requests or you don't get the loan.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • 7 months ago

Buying a house without the spouse might be an issue in some places. Here some laws protect spouses like not signing your life insurance without consent. I have bought many houses and never needed a credit card we pay earnest money they keep if we back out. Other places may be different.

• 7 months ago

While the request is unusual I can understand it if she isn't on the mortgage but requesting credit card information isn't right. Lenders have expenses that they eat if a loan isn't granted and this would be just one of them. That said I've never had any lenders require that of my buyers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.