Got into accident without having insurance in NJ?

A few months ago I was working for an employer and got into an accident in the work/commercial vehicle, I was at fault. During the time I was employed I was told by my boss that I was covered under the company's auto insurance. However after the accident occurred I was told that my boss never followed through to make sure I was covered, he told me that it was his fault that I wasn't covered at the time of the accident because he got caught up in other things and was "dragging his feet". So I now find out I wasn't covered by any auto insurer either commercial or personal, despite being told I was. I ended up going to court I instead of paying the ticket and was fined $450, with no points added to my license, played it off and thought it was over with.. Then a couple months later I get a letter from a collection agency saying I owe $6,000 to state farm (the other vehicles insurer). What do I do about this?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Talk to boss. His vehicle was supposed to be insured for all that use it. You were working at the time using to boss s vehicle.

I am not saying you were not at fault AND I am not saying the other insurance company WON T try to collect - from you, & from the boss because insurance is there "FOR THE BUCK".

. Boss s excuse does not hold water. It was his responsibility to be sure the vehicle was insured "just in case". He failed to do "his part"

. He was suppose to have Commercial Vehicle Insurance that covers all drivers driving for the company.

I definitely would THROW THE BALL IN HIS COURT. He also has business insurance, so that might take up the slack.

Fortunately for you, you did not get injured. Otherwise you would be suing his business for coverage.

An auto accident LAWYER can tell you what sht goes down.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

you are not covered for the ticket by the company

you mixed way too much to try and cover your butt

and the insurance company is trying to recover the money they paid out

that is legal too

you screwed up and it hurts no getting off easy you should have been on this your self.

collection agency cannot go after you with out a court hearing... there was one

you did not go to the hearing so you lost by default

the "employer" is a fly by night not a real company with real insurance screening employees properly

there was no coverage ? the truck has coverage no matter what there is no LISTING YOU ... unless he had no insurance at all FLY by night

paying people under the table who have no legal status no car no personal insurance?

• May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

You either pay the $6,000. or you give the bill to your employer and have him pay it.

• 6 months ago

Ask him to pay them. If he doesn't, then pay them yourself.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

You can either pay State Farm $6,000 or you can get sued for $8,000+ when they add legal fees.

Your employer should be paying this, but the debt and lawsuit is against you.

You can sue your employer, but that's awkward.

• 6 months ago

I think you really need the advice of an attorney.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.