Gaming PC randomly freezes?

This issue first appeared a few months back and I'm getting tired of it as it really ruins immersion.

It only happens while doing more demanding tasks like gaming, with some games causing more frequent freezes than others. The worst culprits are graphical intensive games, cutscenes, simulation games and when I'm multitasking, like playing a game and watching a video at the same time.

What happens is that everything randomly freezes and I hear a loud buzzing noise coming from the speakers.

I first suspected this might be to due to overheating and the pc somehow locks up for safety reasons, but both my cpu and gpu temps are completely normal.

As you can probably tell my knowledge is limited but I've tried cleaning off dust from the case and every single hardware, reinstalled ram in different slots in case a port was failing, leaved the case open and put a fan next to it to allow more airflow. I've also tried to remove and install new drivers but to no prevail.

The pc was built in 2013 so I have a feeling some hardware is failing but I don't know how to locate the issue. I have read that the most likely culprits could be my psu, cpu, gpu, failing ram or even mobo, but I don't have any spare parts so I have no way of testing it.

I'm getting to the point where I'm considering to take a stab in the dark and start replacing hardware, but I would prefer to spend as least money as possible.

Specs below.

You should try reinstalling your windows.

get software to allow you to monitor your cpu and gpu temps. free at cnet/com/downloads.

sounds as if your gpu is overheating and shutting down the whole system

I would look at the motherboard and video card's Capacitors. Make sure they look ok and are not leaking or bulging.

Barring that, hard to really say.

Probably the next step is to test the Power supply. It might be the easiest and potentially a cheaper way to go. But really hard to say what it is. If you truly opened up the case and blew out the dust and made sure the temps are cool, then I would start with the Power supply.

500 watts may not be adequate? Try a better/newer power supply. Power supplies have capacitors too and they could be failing.

You could potentially go to the local stores that sell computer parts. Best Buy, Frys Electronics or a local computer store, and purchase one. Most of the brick and mortar stores have return policies, you can try a new Power supply and see if it resolves the issues. If it doesn't then you can return it (if the store allows).

Then move on to something else. Try putting back your old 770? to see if the issue persists? Try 8GB of ram instead of 16...and see if the issue persists. If it does, then try swapping the first set of 8GB with the second set and see.

Just some easy testing....

• Adrian

Speaker buzzing noise when you crash is simply the audio chip cycling because the system has crashed.

Your PSU of 500W meets the minimum for a GTX970, but just.

It could be one of many things, most of which you have done but I'll repeat. Start off with removing/updating all the audio and video drivers. Remove any overclocking, if it was set anywhere, along with any "enhancements" to any performance (like video card enhancements), if any.

Try running with just 8GB ram at a time, this will show if it is a specific RAM stick(s) or not. Try for a few days, then swap with the other 8GB. 8GB is enough for anything you are running.

Check your cooling fans, on both CPU and video card, make sure they are clear of any dust. An overheated CPU or GPU can cause crashes.

If possible, measure the +12V rail at the video card, to make sure your PSU is supplying enough power. PSU do degrade over time (a bit), so it is worth checking the voltages under load.

Check the hard drive (and SSD) health status with tools like Speedfan. See if there is any warnings or cautions about any drive.

It is possible the video card may be failing. Try to borrow another card, even a lower end one, and see if the problem persists.

Least likely would be the motherboard, unless you have a power surge (nearby lightning hit maybe?)

Specs:

OS:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU:

Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz

RAM:

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz

Motherboard:

MSI B85M-E45(MS-7817)

GPU:

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (upgraded a few years ago from GTX 770)

Storage:

931GB ATA WDC WD10EZRX-00L SCSI Disk Device (SATA )

111GB ATA KINGSTON SV300S3 SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))

PSU:

Coolmaster 500W

What seems to be the most likely issue?

Any response would be very much appreciated.