Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is chocolate harmful to pets?

4 Answers

  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Not all pets. For Dogs, Cats, Herps, Birds, Inverts, Fish, and most Mammals it is, but not for Rats. Rats share approximately 70% of their DNA with Humans and actually don't have another animal that's that closely related to them except Humans (not even Mice!). The toxic component in chocolate can sicken and kill most animals, but just like with Humans, it doesn't effect Rats unless ingested in gigantic quantities. Like Humans, eating too much chocolate isn't good for you, and can actually physically harm you in various ways. That's the only animal I know of that can safely ingest chocolate without becoming sick or lead to death. I highly suggest and recommend doing deep research on Rats. They're fascinating creatures that are cleaner then a Cat, more intelligent than a Dog, and better at problem solving than Humans! Hope this helps! :D

  • 2 years ago

    In some pets, it can be fatal, most pets can't metabolize chocolate, In quantity, it is not even good for humans.

    That stuff will kill a ferret quick.

    Pets do not need any chocolate in their diets, don't give it to them.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system. ... A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

    Source(s): Google.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

    Chocolate in itself contains a drug called theobromine any human being that drug is very quickly and readily metabolized by our body in most animals theobromine quickly builds up in their bloodstream and results in a cardiac event a heart attack

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.