Should I not give my gecko time to bite me before I pick him up?

I just got a new leopard gecko a little over a week ago. Every time I put my hand in there, he bites my hand. Last night I had to take him out to clean the tank and I didn t really give him much time to react. He bit me just moments after I picked him up and then he tried to run away. Then he stayed calm for a... show more I just got a new leopard gecko a little over a week ago. Every time I put my hand in there, he bites my hand. Last night I had to take him out to clean the tank and I didn t really give him much time to react. He bit me just moments after I picked him up and then he tried to run away. Then he stayed calm for a minute, and then he started squirming a little. But when his tank was done, I put my hand down flat and it took him a couple seconds to decide to move off of my hand. Should I do this every time?