Dental retainer?

I'm 17 and I got my braces on in July 2016. I got them off today and got two retainers. A top one; a clear, plastic covering the whole row of teeth; and a bottom, put below the tongue and a line of metal covering the front row of teeth. I'm trying to sleep and I can't because the two retainers are so... show more I'm 17 and I got my braces on in July 2016.

I got them off today and got two retainers. A top one; a clear, plastic covering the whole row of teeth; and a bottom, put below the tongue and a line of metal covering the front row of teeth.

I'm trying to sleep and I can't because the two retainers are so frickin uncomfortable. I have to sleep with the top one for presumably the rest of my life, but only have to wear it during sleep. And the bottom one, I have to wear 24/7 for the next 6 weeks, and then only at night like the top.

But I can't do it and I can't even fall asleep.

What do I do, and what are the consequences of not wearing it 24/7 ??? The bottom is waaaaaaay worse.