Arbeitseinsatz in WW2?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Dutch forced labour during WW2? I know that originally, the Dutch were treated with a velvet glove approach because Hitler viewed them as an Aryan race but that that soon wore off and eventually they were deported in their hundreds of thousands to Germany to participate in arbeitzeinsatz (the forced labour) alongside the Poles, Italians, Soviets etc.

What I really want to know is what kind of jobs did they get women to do, and were children forced to work as well? Any other facts about the deportations would be welcomed too. I’ve read a fair bit but I’m struggling a bit I’ll admit, to find the information I’m looking for, so I’m hoping someone can help me out here.

Much obliged in advance for any assistance provided!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

This is all that I can discover. It isn't much, but I hope that it may help in a small way. This is an extract from a Dutch book that shows photographs that were taken during the war. One particular photograph shows Dutch men on a train that would take them to Germany, in August 1940. The caption says this:

Dutch workers at the Amsterdam Central Station depart for Germany, to work in industry. The first contingent of workers was entirely made up of volunteers. It was mostly unemployed persons who sought their fortune in Germany. German propaganda did everything to give a positive image of the living and working conditions. The taking up of work in Germany took place, initially, on a voluntary basis, but very quickly more and more pressure was put on the unemployed to accept 'suitable' work. If anyone refused to do that, their unemployment benefit was withheld.

Source(s): Het 40-45 Boek. Waanders Uitgevers/Collectie NIOD. Erik Somers, René Kok. 3rd edition 2005.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Growing food, building weapons, manufacturing ammunition, rolling bandages, clearing bomb damage, you name it.

• 7 months ago

Probably weapon assembly in factories.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.