How to tell boss/mentor I may be quitting?

Hello, I work as a real estate agent. It s a cut throat business in my city to be honest. For the last year I have been mentoring under a successful mid class broker. He is actually a family friend so leaving him would be tuff. He has provided me with a good foundation as a realtor, what they don t teach you in... show more Hello,
I work as a real estate agent. It s a cut throat business in my city to be honest. For the last year I have been mentoring under a successful mid class broker. He is actually a family friend so leaving him would be tuff. He has provided me with a good foundation as a realtor, what they don t teach you in school. He s a great guy and I like him alot and respect him however so far I have not make a penny. For a year!! I am bleeding money. He is doing business but does not hand over houses to sell. I must go out and find sellers myself. That is hard in a city with 22000 brokers when you have no experience. Like I said. Cutthroat. I had an interview with a very successful realtor in my city today and she offered me a trial period to work for her. Working for her certainly will bring in money as she provides me with the houses to sell and we split the commission. She can do this because she has more houses then she can handle. I m stuck not wanting to leave my mentor but I also need to support living. Any advice is great. Thank you.