Is a parent being way too controlling considered abuse?

Okay so, I'm gonna be 18 in about half a year, I don't really get into trouble, and I'd like to think that my folks consider me to be an overall good kid. Except for my mom. She doesn't trust me. Ever since the day I was born she's always been over my shoulder, constantly in my business, all the... show more Okay so, I'm gonna be 18 in about half a year, I don't really get into trouble, and I'd like to think that my folks consider me to be an overall good kid. Except for my mom. She doesn't trust me. Ever since the day I was born she's always been over my shoulder, constantly in my business, all the time. Though sometimes I'm forgetful and can leave details out of my plans, she always takes this as me being sneaky and trying to lie to her. She demands all of the passwords to my social media accounts, emails (both school and private), and just about anything else that might be private. She also forces me to let her know where I am whenever she feels like asking, and if she thinks I might be lying or don't respond fast enough, she will track the location of my phone. She doesn't let me do much of anything on my own, as I "haven't earned her trust for those freedoms". I'm an only child and don't have any siblings, and my friends' parents don't do anything remotely similar to this, and my friends' parents innately trust their children. The way she acts makes me harms my mental health and she makes me feel like a bad person. My question is, is this possibly abuse? Is it manipulation, control issues, or is this just normal parenting and I don't realize it?
3 answers 3