promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How can I come up with an original idea?

I have a school assignment where I have to write a story and my first idea was to write about a girl that was falsely imprisoned and her friend that’s majoring in pre law tries to help her get out. But it’s kind of tricky since I’m not completely well-versed on the criminal justice system. Any idea would be much appreciated.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Do not do something you are not well versed in, PARTICULARLY if you have a deadline to meet.

Write what you know. Write a story concerning activities you are familiar with so you can concentrate on your writing and not worry if you are getting the mechanics of the setting right.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

I agree that it sounds too long for a school project.

Is this really for school or a personal project?

• Cheri Mon1 year agoReport

For school. It’s supposed to be 1000-3000 words in length

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Your idea sounds too long for a short story. You protagonist has to have evidence that proves that her friend was wrongly convicted or finds a fault in the trial proceedings. She then must use it to convince a barrister to apply for a retrial or an appeal. I don't know law, but I know that. It's a lengthy process.

What must the length of the story be? A short incident might work.

• Cheri Mon1 year agoReport

1000-3000 words. I was gonna do time jumps to show how she grew from it. I was also thinking of just a crime like theft and vandalism and she gets sentenced to 4 years

• Amber
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

If it's just for school I doubt your teacher will expect too much from you. I doubt you get marks for originality, just your writing. You could re-write a fairy tale and just concentrate on making the writing really good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

There is no new thing under the sun. However, you can have a little originality. Put yourself into the story. When you write a story, go by this outline:

* The world as it IS.

* The world as YOU SEE IT.

* The world as YOU WANT IT TO BE.

Since nobody else is "you," that is as close as you can get to true originality. I write that way all the time. For example, I am sick of all the racism in this world, so I wrote a story on how I would handle it: "Catch a Falling Star" (Wattpad).

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Your original idea is an original idea!

Pre-law friend is right character educational level for not-so-versed you the author.

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_imprisonment and maybe fit your backstory (why she is falsely imprisoned) to what you are able to glean from the Wikipedia articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_arrest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus

• Dylan
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Honestly it doesn't have to be accurate at all.

Real law is boring af, chuck in a conspiracy or something.

Just try making a bare bone outline.

PS. A story about somebody being falsely imprisoned is far from original.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Watch the movie Legally Blonde with Reese Witherspoon, it's sort of the same plot as yours. BTW, it's one of my favorites.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.