Am I creating 2 parallel Universes by tosing a coin?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Best Answer

According to some interpretations of quantum mechanics, yes -- and not just two. There's a universe where it came up heads. There's a universe where it came up tails. There's a universe where you didn't catch it and it hit the floor and rolled under the fridge. There's a universe where you didn't catch it in the palm of your hand, you caught it between your fingers. There's a universe where you tossed a coin and didn't ask your question about it. And so on.

Now, the 'many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics is not by *any* means demonstrated; it's just a way some physicists try to wrap their heads around the fundamentally uncertain nature of reality, and it's far from the only one.

I'm not entirely sure what difference it makes how one "interprets" quantum mechanics; they all seem like a lot of philosophical hair-splitting and navel-gazing to me, and quite beside the point. The Copenhagen Interpretation says that a particle doesn't really exist as a particle unless it's being observed. Well, is it always there when you look at it? Then it's there. The Many Worlds Interpretation says every quantum event hives off a whole new universe that we can't ever reach. Well, if we can't ever reach it and it has no observable impact on this universe, in what way does it exist, other than to give mathematical physicists something to do?

The interpretation I like best is the non-interpretation of Paul Dirac: "The interpretation of quantum mechanics has been dealt with by many authors, and I do not want to discuss it here. I want to deal with more fundamental things."

• 6 months ago

oh yes

• geezer
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you catch it YES .. Heads creates one universe .. Tails creates another

and then, of course, you could drop it.

• Paula
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No 6.

it could land heads, tails on on its side

or ...

if gravity is reversed in that dimension --

it could land on the ceiling as heads, tails on on its side

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No, not even by tossing one. I know the many worlds folk might argue otherwise, but good luck demonstrating that.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No, 3. Head, tail and side.

• PhotonX
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Yes, I've seen American nickels land on their unreeded edges. So I guess that means the odds of flipping heads or tails is really 1 in 3, right? ;-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.