I’m purchasing a 1974 VW bus in Mexico does anyone know if I can import it to the US?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

You're purchasing and you don't know first?

Lol.

Another idiot.

• 5 months ago

dont bother you can get a made in germany one in america,mexican bugs are worthless and are shoddily made.german bugs are worth paying extra for.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yup along with 100 year old wine. If you can drive it here, is an entirely different question. The 74 was better than the 72(that one kept stalling) though 74 suffered body cancer on the rear compartment flooring...and the sliding door rotted off its track. Being in Mexico, many of the anitpollution stuff that came with the factory engine probably is not on that engine so it cannot be run in the US. If the air pump and other antipollution stuff was available to put on it, it would then be legal for that year. You will have to visit junk yards to find that "stuff". 1974 does not require that you install newer stuff on it. Just keep it original...and you are legal even in California.

. That was a good motor with dual carbs. I put over 300Kmiles on it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

if you bring a load of illegals across the border

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Likely you can, as it's smog exempt most everywhere. Good luck keeping a running engine in it. V-dub engines of that era were weak and didn't last long, especially in buses. If you know someone familiar with the VW flat engines, it would help you a lot.

• 6 months ago

Bringing it in and driving it legally are two different things. A lot depends on what state you're going to register it in. The requirements in California, for example, are a lot tougher than in Texas.

• Trump 2020
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Vintage cars can skirt a lot of rules. My Ca. registered model A has only one tail light, no turn signals, and no emissions devices whatsoever. ALL legal, as it came from the factory that way.

• 6 months ago

Anything 25 years old can be imported

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.