Gas lawn mower problems?

I have had it running but not now. I have cleaned the carb bowl and fuel lines. The gas does not seem to be filling the bowl, although there was a small amount of gas in it (after I checked). The gas flows by gravity from the tank and the needle valve has been cleared. It will start of a starter fluid but not... show more I have had it running but not now. I have cleaned the carb bowl and fuel lines. The gas does not seem to be filling the bowl, although there was a small amount of gas in it (after I checked). The gas flows by gravity from the tank and the needle valve has been cleared. It will start of a starter fluid but not continue.
I would consider a replacement carburetor but I don't understand what is going on? Or what is wrong?
Update: I have one bit of information, that when first cleaning the float bowl, there was solid flaky material which came off the float.