What colour is bird blood?

Specifically, the colour of the blood of the following birds:

Magpie

Raven

Parrot

Bonus points if you tell me WHY their blood is that colour.

Here's the explanation. I'm writing a story where the protagonist is a bird creature. Qess (that's the name of the protag) is injured, and I want to know what colour their blood is so I can accurately describe the colour.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Casey
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

red. all animal blood is red. Not sure why you think it would be different.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Their blood is the same color as chicken blood, frog blood, fish blood, lizard and snake blood and cow blood.

• 7 months ago

Red, same as for mammals.

• 7 months ago

All birds have red blood. It's red because haemoglobin contains iron compounds, which forms the chemical bonds that allow blood cells to attach oxygen molecules and transport them around the body. Some critters use copper compounds for the same purpose, and their blood is blue. But copper compounds are not nearly as efficient as iron compounds for that purpose, so is not suited for highly active organisms like birds and mammals whose muscles and braincells have a massive appetite for oxygen

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Red. All blood with the iron-based haemoglobin is red.

You'd better pick an Octopus if you want blue blood from the haemocyanin.

Insects have Green or Yellow though.

Maybe you need to look up a troll blood color chart online?

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's red because it has the same oxygen carrying protein called hemoglobin that mammalian blood does. It contains iron which it what the oxygen binds to. Oxygenated blood is bright red, oxygen depleted blood is much darker.

• 7 months ago

Birds’ blood, like mammals, is red. Also like mammals, birds’ blood is a darker red before it hits the surface and exposure to oxygen, where then it turns a bright red, and it dries a darker, brick red.

Source(s): Wiki
  • 7 months ago

red

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.