What paint to use to cover ruff exposed areas on a coffee mug where the handle broke?

The handle on my coffee mug broke in three pieces. I was able to successfully glue it back using super glue, however, there are ruff areas where the pieces join and are exposed where the paint chipped away. Any suggestion on what paint to use to paint over the ruff areas? I would like to keep the mug dishwasher and microwave safe.

Attachment image

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Don't paint it. That won't smooth roughness and it won't fix a larger than flat fix, and you won't get the right color either. Use a dremel or a nail file to file it down so that it is smooth. A proper bit on the dremel with make it smooth.

• roger
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You can try fingernail polish.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Keep it as a treasured ornament, but don't use it. You risk the handle parting company with the mug and boiling hot coffee down your front ... or over somebody else. A scalding accident waiting to happen.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It is a pencil holding container NOW. You need to buy NEW.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

epoxy paint .

• 7 months ago

Once it is broken, it CANNOT be dishwasher OR microwave safe.

The super glue is INHERENTLY not microwave safe an probably not dishwasher safe.

• 7 months ago

Some clear nail polish.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's never going to be dishwasher safe: the high heat will weaken any glue joint.

Microwave safe is iffy. I'd never trust that repair for hot beverages.

I'll suggest that you use that mug for display, and drink out of another one.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Microwave safe is IMPOSSIBLE. Dishwasher safe is questionable at best.

• 7 months ago

it is unlikely to be dishwasher/microwave safe -- your superglue is likely to morph under heat.

as for paint -- forget it. the original was baked into the ceramic. Nothing is going to be as tough as that and thus it'll keep coming off in the wash

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You need a paint specifically designed for ceramics.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.