How can I covert a brand new 40ft. shipping container into a street legal electric motor home so I have something cool.?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No matter how much work you do on the inside to convert it into a motor home, a shipping container going down the road is still going to look like a shipping container.

Even if you could somehow convert it into something that was driveable, the weight of the thing would be enormous, and you probably wouldn't be allowed to drive it on public streets or highways. An average 40-foot, empty steel shipping container weighs 8,268 pounds. The weight of the thing would tear up the road. And good luck finding tires large enough to put on it.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I think it would make a lot more sense to just buy an old school bus and convert it to a motor home. Just rip out the seats, build a kitchen and throw a bed in the back and you've got it made.

• don r
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Trucks pull them all the time. Find an electric truck. Really, I don't think you'll enjoy trying to drive that around the city. Why not buy a 40 ft fuel-cell bus instead?

• 7 months ago

You can't.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

First, come up with several hundred thousand dollars. Build it, then, park it in your back yard, as it's unlikely it could ever be made street legal (IMO).

• 7 months ago

Cut off the sides and weld them to a trolley bus.

• arther
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

fit out your container, roll a 40ft container trailer under it attach, hook it up to your prime mover and your away

• 7 months ago

First, you withdraw $100,000 from your savings.........

• Greg
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you think the answer is here, you will never complete the project.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.