Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

Is it mold at the bottom of my pot or is it just the metal of the pot just reacting to the cooking process?

I cooked a stew a few days ago and some chopped onions got burnt and stuck to the bottom of the pot during the cooking process.

When we finished the stew, there was like some burnt onions at the bottom of the pot, so I just put it in the sink.

My girlfriend then washed the pot up. But today I found there to be like white spot marks at the base of the pot. Initially I thought that it might be mold due to her not cleaning the pot throroughly enough when washing the burnt bits at the base of the pot.

But she says she thinks it's just white spot marks that have appeared because the pot has been used a lot.

I have just boiled some water in the pot and the white spots are still there. I tried rubbing them as well but they are still there.

Could they just be stains on the base of the pot due to overuse or could it be that they are spots of white mold?

4 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    If it's stainless steel, don't fret over it. SS does that. If you want it gone, buy some Bartenders Friend buffing powder and the spots will disappear.

    On the other hand, if it's a non stick pot, chances are some of the coating separated from the pot, and you are looking at spots of uncoated pot.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

    It isn’t mold.

    Some cooking utinsels, a particular lightweight metal, get white growths on them when they sit wet. I have a few vintage cookware pieces that do this, I just try to clean them immediately after use and scrub that stuff off when I see it. The pieces I have that are that metal are sortof a dull medium gray and are vintage and antique. Mostly they are speciality cooking pounders, pourers, etc, and I use them for decoration rather than cooking. I don’t use that kind of metal for cooking.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

    if boiling water and scrubbing didn't remove them, it sure as heck isn't mold.

    Its stains.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

    They are just stains. Burnt onions can't get moldy as there is nothing for the mold to grow on. Even if there was anything if could grow on, it would not have survived the washing and boiling.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.