Question for watercolor artists - preserving/restoring paintings?

I did a watercolor painting last year that covered the whole paper, framed it, and periodically checked it every now and then because I live in a tropical climate (so mold grows easily). I recently noticed that there were a few dark spots on my painting so I took it out of the frame, cleaned the frame with bleach,... show more I did a watercolor painting last year that covered the whole paper, framed it, and periodically checked it every now and then because I live in a tropical climate (so mold grows easily). I recently noticed that there were a few dark spots on my painting so I took it out of the frame, cleaned the frame with bleach, and tried a few different things for the mold on the painting. I dry brushed it and even lightly used sandpaper, but the spots remain. I was wondering that, if I painted over the mold and re-touched the painting (which is painted fairly thick for watercolor), and then sealed the painting with a protective coat spray, would the mold be trapped in the paper (which is 140 lb.) and could it resurface beneath the sealant coat? Also, would sealing the back of the paper make a difference in preserving as well?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers!
1 answer 1