Uk tourist Visa question?

When I enter the Dublin airport on may 20 I told the customs guy that I would leave the UK on June 1 but what happen if my flight get delay would I have then overstay my Visa.

Since I saw online you can get up to 90 days when an American enter the UK thought Ireland but I'm not sure if I was given 90 days or was given a shorter amount. This is my first time in the UK too.

Favorite Answer

Yes, it means you can stay up to 90 days.

Look at the Irish entry stamp in your passport. If it shows a date other then the date you arrived then that is the date by which you have to exit the Ireland/UK common travel area for your trip home.

Even if it is the date you told them you planned to leave and you don't because of a flight cancellation then keep proof of the cancellation and show it to the Immigration Officer when you do exit.

If you fly home to the USA w/o returning to Ireland then UK Immigration will notify Ireland Immigration you exited.

• John P

Just remember that Dublin is the capital city of the Republic of Ireland, which is not part of the UK.

• John P

For a start: Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland, a totally separate country from the UK. So completely dismiss from your mind any connection with the UK. Ask authorities in the Republic of Ireland, or look at its government website.

Note that you are paying in euros, as opposed to British pounds.

• Mercury

The UK and the ROI have open borders.

• Maxi

Dublic is the Republic of Ireland. NOT the UK and in ROI you have UP TO 90 days and you have to leave within that time otherwise you will be an overstayer

• W.T. Door

Ireland and the UK are in a common travel area. Flights between the two countries are treated as domestic flights.

Dublin isn't in the UK

• W.T. Door

• Foofa

If you were in Dublin you weren't in the UK (but thanks for representing US public education as you travel throughout the world, not). Flight delays generally fall under the 'act of god' mantle in that you wouldn't be blamed for an overstay should that happen. However, savvy travelers will usually plan their trips to where even in the case of such a thing they'll still be within their allotted time. So just don't wait until the last minute to leave Ireland and you'll be fine.

• Mercury

UK/Ireland have an open border which will remain after the UK leaves the EU.