rob asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Toolbar · 6 months ago

What are all of the different ways to navigate to a fix, that is not a VOR or a GPS fix?

Best Answer

A fix is specifically something based on navaids. Most of them are VOR or GPS and require those to navigate to them.

Ones that don’t would be based on a localizer and using a fan marker or NDB to locate it (either by receiving a fan marked signal right above it or station passage for an NDB). Using DME while on a localizer is another way.

You could home to or track an NDB and use the NDB itself to mark the fix. Also you could use a DME fix off an NDB track. You could use bearing to another NDB to mark a fix while tracking an NDB, but this wouldn’t be very accurate.

There is a reason why VORs were the go-to navaids before GPS.

• Sky

You can use the ADF to tune in NDB stations, and using two of them you can get an exact fix on your location and know when you've arrived at the desired fix. You can also use pilotage and dead reckoning, the old school methods that use no radio navigation. For those areas where LORAN is still in operation, aircraft with LORAN receivers can navigate to a fix. Then there's radar vectors from ATC. And high end aircraft may have INS (inertial navigation system) which tracks position with by detecting changes to inertia motion sensors.

I don't know if this is an exhaustive list of ALL the different ways to navigate to a fix, but it's what I can think of at this late hour.

Source(s): pilot since 1995
  • rick

I wandered all over the Southwest USA, in my L-2 TCraft, using a whisky compass, a wind-up Timex and borrowed Jepp charts. I think it was called "dead reckoning".

• JetDoc

I learned to use the IFRR system. (I Follow Railroads)

• rick

Me too. Worked well in the 1950s!!!!!