Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Dog attack gone wrong?

So if my dog dug a hole and got out of my backyard and went down the street and was attacked by another dog that was outside, not on a leash, but my dog ended up hurting the other dog pretty bad, who is at fault for the dogs injuries

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

A responsible pet owner does not let their dog run loose unsupervised or without a leash. Now both dogs have to pay the price for your mistake. SHAME on you

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

sue then

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The owner of the attacking dog, get insurance. If it kills a kid you are in big trouble. Google “ boy on tricycle attacked by dog, chased away by cat”. Dogs do attack and kill kids, babies, and even adults.

• 6 months ago

you the dogs owner and keeper are

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Both owners. I think it only right that each take care of their own. You tend your dog & the other owner tend theirs.

• 6 months ago

One thing to consider is this happened in Maryland where the dog bite laws say if someone is even 1% at fault, they cannot recover from the dog owner

Lv 7
    6 months ago

In my area, if the other dog was off its owner's property, you are entirely liable for damages your dog caused, while they are liable for damages their dog caused. If this occurred on property owned by the other dog's owner, whether the dog was leashed or not, you are 100% liable for damages to both dogs, regardless of which one started the fight. However, laws regarding dog bites can vary by location.

• 6 months ago

You are at least partly at fault. The owner of the other dog may be partly at fault as well. Impossible to say without all of the facts.

If the other dog was on its property and never left its property, it doesn't matter that it was not leashed or that it attacked yours. You would be 100% responsible. That dog is doing what dogs do, defending its territory.

If both of you are found to be equally responsible, the amount you paid for injuries to your dog would be subtracted from the amount the other owner paid for injuries to their dog, and you would be ordered to pay half of the difference.

No injuries to your dog, $1,000 to the other dog, you pay $500.

$200 to your dog, you pay that.

$1,200 to the other dog, the owner pays the first $200 and you split the remaining $1,000.

• don r
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Your fault. Dogs don't build and maintain fences.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Both owners.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.