Is it better to get a fixer-upper or a more livable house?

My fiancé and I are looking at buying a house shortly after our wedding in a few months and it will be the first home for both of us. We’ve done our research and know what we can afford but are split on what we should get. I’m in favor of spending a bit more (still within budget though!) or getting a smaller house... show more My fiancé and I are looking at buying a house shortly after our wedding in a few months and it will be the first home for both of us. We’ve done our research and know what we can afford but are split on what we should get. I’m in favor of spending a bit more (still within budget though!) or getting a smaller house or townhouse as long as not too much work is required and it’s move-in ready. He’s not afraid of some sweat equity and wouldn’t mind a fixer-upper that’s cheaper and that we can sell for more money in few years after its fixed up. I see the benefit but am afraid of getting ourselves into a money pit. Any suggestions or advice from people who went through the same?
11 answers 11