When writing historical fiction in the 21st century, is it necessary to ascribe modern sensibilities to your protagonist?

I notice that in historical novels I read written in the last 20 years or so, the authors give their protags modern attitudes toward slavery, women's issues, racism, etc. Is it problematic if you write a main character who has period-appropriate sensibilites? I'm not saying write a story with an evil... show more I notice that in historical novels I read written in the last 20 years or so, the authors give their protags modern attitudes toward slavery, women's issues, racism, etc.

Is it problematic if you write a main character who has period-appropriate sensibilites? I'm not saying write a story with an evil slave-master as the hero, but just someone who basically accepts the social conditions of their day and works within them, with racial/gender issues being only background color and not the main thrust of the story.

Would this be problematic to 21st century editors and/or readers?