Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 months ago

Would robbing a bank robber be a perfect crime?

Say that I saw a guy rob a bank.

And say that I caught up to him at a distance, out of view of any exterior cameras the bank has, got the drop on him with my gun, took the bank robbery money and ordered him to lay face down on the ground while I make my exit (Then he cant shoot me if he has his own gun, because when he gets back up he wont know where I went, let alone who I am)

My guess is my crime would never be discovered.

The robbers obviously not gonna go to the police and say: "I'm the one who robbed the bank earlier today and this guy took the money from me."

And the bank will have that guy on camera as the robber. If I dont look anything like him, who is gonna come looking for me and why?

Perfect crime?

Your crime would be discovered, and that's not a guess; it's a certainty. The robber doesn't have to go to the police; they will come to him. And when they come to him and say "either tell us about another criminal or go prison for bank robbery", he is obviously going to tell them what you did in return for getting away with his own crime, or at least a lighter sentence. It's not the perfect crime for you -- but it is for him -- because he can trade his knowledge of you to avoid some or all of the penalty for his crime.

Perfect, unless that person declines to get on the floor and inseat shoots you in the head.

Prisons are full of bank robbers.

Sounds like a perfect plan. I'd proceed with your plans.

Is it your plan to just hang around banks until someone robs one of them or how do you plan to know a bank is going to be robbed so you can be there? Just asking.

And then when he runs out of the bank you are going to chase him down? Sounds like a very solid plan.

Let me know how it works out.

The bank robber is highly unlikely to turn himself in just to report your act to the police, but the marked bills will give you away.

These are bills that banks keep, which have their serial numbers recorded, which are not given to bank customers mzking ordinary withdrawals, but are thrown in with the rest of the money in case of a robbery.

Those serial numbers go into a database linking the bills to a particular robbery. Stores dont scan them, but banks do.

You spend some of the money, and the store deposits the money at the bank. Then the bank sees there's one or more bill from a robbery.

Then investigators can work backwards. They can look at surveillance footage from the stores who deposited the money. They can look for the same person paying cash at more than one of these stores. Then they have a person of interest.

Having been in possession of one bill from the robbery is easily explainable. You could have gotten it as change from somewhere. But if they find out you have used multiple bills from the robbery, in multiple denominations, in multiple places, then law enforcement will be at your front door with a few questions for you.

At that point it makes no difference that you are clearly not the person on the banks surveillance footage. They dont have to prove that you were the original thief in order to charge you with possession of stolen property.

First what makes you think he would lay down for you? Second you would be taking stolen money, that you KNEW was stolen so that's a crime. You plan to use a gun, which would mean armed robbery on your part. Oh and most robbers don't carry a gun with the extra penalty for ARMED robbery. So yeah what are you going to do when he turns you in? They have little to lose. They know they are likely to get caught, and you will get in a lot more trouble. They can take a deal for the prosecutors to go after you.

• Mike

What happens if the robber has accomplices (they often do) and they shoot you and take the money back?

You will be accused

Nope. Go back and read what you wrote and see why.

What happens if the cops drive by looking and see you walking with a bunch of money? Or even see you taking the money?

• Duncan7 months agoReport

Is the prosecutor gonna charge me, then show the jury surveillance video of someone else and hope they dont notice the difference?