How do I dismiss my traffic citation by attending traffic school/defensive driving?

A few weeks ago I received a traffic ticket for failure to yield an emergency vehicle. I have never gotten a ticket before and I have been stressing over the past few weeks. I can just pay for it, but I want to dismiss this ticket and not have it on my record and my insurance. What do I have to do? What will happen in the court? How long will it take? Do I need a lawyer? Do I have to appear in court to request driving school? What are the chances? This is in the state of Alabama by the way.

• poldi2

You have to prove either that you did yield or that the emergency vehicle was not apparent to you.

You can ask in court, but you'll probably still have to pay the ticket.

• Hot Dawg!7 months agoReport

No, once I attend driving school. I don't have to pay anything. The ticket will be settled, the points will not be on my record and will not affect my insurance.

The only way to get a ticket dismissed is to prove the ticket is in error - that the ticket, the charge, is WRONG! Likely need an attorney on that as your lawyer has to go to the law books & investigate everything.

If you failed to yield to an emergency vehicle, pay it - no way out of that. But your attorney could perhaps negotiate attending traffic school in lieu of paying a fine? You have to hire an attorney to investigate possibilities under your specific circumstances.

Or just pay the fine & take your lumps for what you did wrong.

• Hot Dawg!7 months agoReport

I doubt a "smile" will convince the judge but I do accept responsibility and I have taken steps to correct my mistake. I don't intend on fighting the ticket because I have no defense and have no confidence on contesting anything.

Read your ticket. If they offer traffic school in your jurisdiction, you just go to it. You don't have to go to court or pay the ticket. You're doing traffic school instead. But your ticket should have all the information you need on it.

Though, since you're in Alabama, you're probably looking at the death penalty.