My credit score just dropped around 60 points, why?

I've never had a late payment or anything! the last time I checked my score last year it was around 710. I just applied for a new card and the application showed my score at 648. I just recently paid off my card last month (I use it every so often for random things to build credit), again was never late on... show more I've never had a late payment or anything! the last time I checked my score last year it was around 710. I just applied for a new card and the application showed my score at 648. I just recently paid off my card last month (I use it every so often for random things to build credit), again was never late on any payment and always did generous monthly amounts. I've always been "perfect" with all loans.

Should I investigate this? Is this something a person should worry about? To be honest this feels like a huge setback and am rather disappointed.